Date: Jan 15, 2012
Location: New Delhi, IN
Position Title Senior Program Officer, Measurement, Learning and Evaluation
Division Global Health Program
Department HIV & Tuberculosis
Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation works to help all people lead healthy, productive lives. In developing countries, it focuses on improving people’s health and giving them the chance to lift themselves out of hunger and extreme poverty. In the United States, it seeks to ensure that all people-especially those with the fewest resources-have access to the opportunities they need to succeed in school and life. Based in Seattle, the foundation is led by CEO Jeff Raikes and co-chair William H. Gates Sr., under the direction of Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett.
The mission of the Gates Foundation’s Global Health Program (GHP) is to help ensure that lifesaving advances in health are created and shared with those who need them most. To date, we have committed nearly $10 billion in global health grants to organizations worldwide. The focus of our grants is to:
– Discover new insights to fight serious diseases and other health problems affecting developing countries.
– Develop effective and affordable vaccines, medicines, and other health tools.
– Deliver proven health solutions in developing countries.
– Advocate for more and better resources and policies to support the introduction and uptake of new and existing health technologies.
The Senior Program Officer (SPO) will provide leadership and manage the measurement, learning and evaluation (MLE) functions of the Foundation supported investments in global health in India. The SPO will negotiate and facilitate the implementation of a variety of MLE initiatives in partnership with technical team members based in the global office. The role will require development of close relationships with a wide range of stakeholders including academic and research institutions nationally and internationally and also related experts within national and state level government leaders, development partners and a wide range of other players. S/he will lead and oversee the impact of MLE grants which cut across a number of the foundation’s primary areas of focus.
– Lead the MLE strategy development for the foundation supported investments in India in consultation with internal and external stakeholders
– Identify and work closely with selected set of technical experts nationally and internationally to set standards and monitor progress
– Review and refine MLE strategies informed by the experience and lessons in a concurrent manner
Grants and contracts management
– Conceptualize and articulate strategies for capturing the results and lessons from the foundation’s investments in global health including maternal and child health, HIV and other related areas
– Manage partnerships and relationships in planning and executing grants/contracts to ensure that the foundation supported grants have
– Make critical contributions to effective implementation of MLE grants by managing and solving complex, and/or large technical challenges
– Manage portfolio of MLE related grants and contracts by closely working with the program owners within the foundation and grantees to ensure timeliness and quality for e.g., impact and transition evaluation of the avahan program
– Collaborate with team members to manage internal grant processes, portfolio progress, and grant budget planning and reporting
Change agent functions
– Lead, participate in and promote conferences and convenings’ that provide opportunities for shaping the MLEagenda
– Support the data collection and analyses efforts of grantees to evaluate the impact of community mobilization efforts on HIV and non HIV outcomes
– Promote learning across teams within the foundation on key MLE issues to ensure refinement of MLE approaches over time
– Seek and actively leverage opportunities to disseminate knowledge, key learnings and products developed in MLE nationally and internationally
We are looking for an individual, with deep expertise and direct experience in Measurement, Learning and Evaluation in challenging operating contexts. The ideal candidate will have worked in evaluating large scale programs in complex operating environment.
– Up to 15 years of management and MLE leadership experience in complex operating environment
– Experience in design and execution of MLE plans for large scale health projects in India and else where
– Deep knowledge of systems and processes linked collecting primary data
– Experience in a global donor or funding agency is required
– Experience in grant making is desirable
– Experience in a role requiring collaboration in complex internal and external organizations, as well as a demonstrated ability to work with efficiency and diplomacy
– History of involvement and commitment to public health issues of the poor
– Ability to travel to remote, rural and under-served regions up to 20%
Reports to: Head of Country Programmes
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.